Saturday, March 12, 2011

Just to say…

3/5/11
I have just finished up the first week of 1st grade and I must say, I love it! I knew I would because I was here last semester but I forgot just how much I love it :) Everyday I have gotten a “letter” or a picture from at least 2 kids. The content varies but the spelling is adorable! I’ll have to scan a few and figure out how to put them up here. I’m sure Kellie can help me get it working if I can ever get a hold of her on the phone :p    Anyways, I forgot how much good it does your heart when you realize that these little people are so happy to see you and are excited that you’re there. They still ask me every day if I’m going to be there when it’s time to go home. I just smile and say yes I will be. Then they smile and turn away giggling like I’ve just told some kind of national secret. It’s adorable.
** The best quote from today: “She has glue in her eye! She has glue in her eye!”    I can honestly say, I’ve never heard these words in this order before. And, it’s important to note that this was glue from a glue stick, not the liquidy glue. It was also while we were on the playground. No idea how it happened, but I don’t think it was actually on her eyeball; looked like it was just on the skin around her eye. Unfortunately, the teachers who were sitting there when this event was brought to our attention all started laughing because we couldn’t figure out how it happened. Once the little girl realized she was didn’t have a life threatening injury, she seemed to relax a little. It was a comical scene though. Picture this: about 6 classes of 1st and 2nd graders (about 20 or so in each class) on the playground, wind blowing a million miles an hour, a little girl playing her violin for the teachers and a crowd gathered around her, and then the PE class runs onto the playground. All on Friday afternoon at about 2:45. CHAOS! We decided after the glue incident and several severe meltdowns that the risk of recess had not been worth the reward this time. It was not the break it was intended to be by any means.   Lesson learned: If it has been a Friday full of melt downs and the wind is blowing a million miles an hour, don’t go outside with a bunch of kids!
Needless to say, when you spend your day with kids, there will never be a dull moment. And you never know what occupation you’ll get to embark upon. This week we have been inventors, bankers, historians, scientists, jewelry repair people, handymen, computer tech fixers (that’s the official term ;)   ) , counselors, argument solvers, friendship restorers, and a host of other things. I think teachers and moms have a lot in common when it comes to being masters of wearing many different hats. I’m sure they would agree.
Saturday I will be going back to school to help with a tutoring program aimed at improving TCAP scores. This is for 3rd and 4th graders I think. Who said you can’t have school on Saturday??
The deeper I get into student teaching, the more excited I get about graduation and getting my own room. I have so many ideas that I can’t wait to flesh out and start putting everything together. They’re all bouncing around in my head and that’s probably contributing to the daily headache I get haha.
We’ll I’m going to sleep so I can wake up and go to school and then see what the rest of the weekend has in store!!  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment